Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Blogging - My first 30 days (or so)

So I finally did it. I have been thinking about starting a blog for a couple years but I recently took the plunge and set it up, created a few posts and linked myself into the edublogosphere. Looking back, I have to admit that I think it has been one of the most professionally rewarding things that I have ever done.

Here are three of the highlights of my first few weeks online.  The blog . . .

1) Forces me to reflect - reflection is a important part of the learning process. We tell this to our students all the time and spend our precious time in class asking them to reflect on their own learning. Unfortunately, I have found it very difficult to find the time to reflect on my practice. Even though I have only created a few entries, the process of writing has forced me to reflect on my experiences.  I have always learned well through writing and this blog allows me to write about my thoughts and helps me to internalize information that I think is important.

2) Allows me to share information  - A blog is a personal space and I am really proud of the articles, videos and posts that I have linked through my blog. I feel that these posts help share information about what I feel is important in education today. I think that it is pretty cool to think that people can use my blog or twitter posts to see what kind of information I am interested in. I have also heard back from the Reaume brothers (authors of The Draconean) recently. They let me know that my post on their awesome presentation at our school has been read by other principals who are now asking them to come and speak at their schools. It is a nice feeling to know that I have been able to help a couple of students who I think have a very important message to share with the world.

3) Links me to other educational leaders - I am amazed at the quality of information that is available from the blogs of other educators around the world. I originally started following a few blogs with google reader, but I am now linked into about 15 different blogs which means that I read 2 or 3 entries a day, depending on how frequent authors are blogging. These posts have allowed me to hear what is happening in schools all over the world. Information about web based portfolios, leadership theory, and the latest trends in mathematical instruction is sent directly to my computer each morning and I love starting my day learning about something new.

Although, I am still finding my way as a blogger, I am extremely excited about the opportunities that exist for educators and students on line today.  I am hopeful that I can continue to grow as much in future months as I have over the past 30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment