Saturday, September 25, 2010

Where Ideas Collide



First of all, I have to say that I absolutely love these illustrated videos that are created by the RSA Society!  What a great way to present information in a entertaining and memorable fashion.

This particular video describes how great ideas and innovation are created when ideas collide.  In particular, Steven Johnson takes a look at how the "spaces" that allow for conversation about different concepts have changed throughout the course of history, and that innovation has historically increased as the amount of spaces to share ideas has increased.  Personally, I found this presentation to be extremely timely as I am continue to build my PLN to try and connect with people to discuss various ideas about education.

I recently conducted my first workshop at ACS on social networking tools with a specific focus on twitter.  This is something that I was really excited about because of how much twitter has helped me professionally and I couldn't wait to share this information with other colleagues at my school.  Although, I was initially very skeptical, I now find twitter to be my primary link to hundreds of other educators worldwide and I feel that it is a perfect example of the "collision of ideas" that Steven Johnson is talking about in his video.   Social networking tools allow for ideas and experiences to be shared to be shared at a frantic pace, and on a daily basis, I am exposed to innovative ideas that force to me reflect on my current practice and push me to become a better educator and principal.

With all the rhetoric that is being discussed about the flaws in our current systems of education, it is heartening to know that there are so many wonderful educators who are always looking to expand their networks and discuss various ideas that will help to improve the way that we educate our students.  This network is definitely one of the bright spots of the educational sphere and I am extremely committed to helping this network, and subsequently innovation in schools, develop and grow in the future.

You can see also view Steven Johnson's Ted talk on the same topic by clicking on the link below:
http://www.ted.com/talks/steven_johnson_where_good_ideas_come_from.html

No comments:

Post a Comment